Latest Research Group News
Please help us by completing a short survey about the future of this church. Click here to take part.
St Peter and St Paul's in Algarkirk is a beautiful medieval church. Containing nationally significant Victorian stained glass and decorations, it is a remarkable and important building.
Today, however, the church is in desperate need of repair and restoration.
Our aim is to restore the building and re-establish it as a significant and relevant asset to Algarkirk. We must take action now in order to preserve it for future generations.
- to repair the church building and conserve the Victorian stained glass windows and decorative scheme in the chancel
- to establish the church as an ideal venue and facility for a wide range of community activities and events
- to establish a heritage centre in the church to provide visitors with information about the church and its place in history
- to run an annual programme of heritage skills workshops for local people, conservation professionals and the general public on subjects such as stained glass making, relevant crafts and archaeology
- to include a cafe, toilet and create spaces for a local history archive, reading and research room and workshops
- to retain and active centre of worship within the building
We have been successful in being awarded £175,000 development grant from The Heritage Lottery Fund to begin the work.